LOOKING FOR AN UPDATE?

In an effort to simplify things in my life for a while, I have decided to stop updating this blog for at least a few months. Instead, I will include information about what I'm reading on my other blog. I hope you'll join me there!

January 17, 2009

The Toss of a Lemon

I just LOVED this book! It's set in India and follows one Brahmin family from the beginning of the 20th century through three or four generations of life, love, and loss. The author, Padma Viswanathan, says that the story is based on her family's history. I couldn't believe my eyes when I read at the end of the book that she now lives in Arkansas with her husband and children. But the journey from India to Arkansas is one for another book, I suppose.

If you like books with lots of relationship, especially family drama, this book is for you. Viswanathan also includes a LOT of information about Brahmin caste rituals. The description of daily life really gave me the sense that I was participating in at least a small segment of Indian culture. I've always been quite interested in Indian culture and I was so pleased when I found this book at the library the other day. It's quite a long read, but worth every word.

No comments: