LOOKING FOR AN UPDATE?

In an effort to simplify things in my life for a while, I have decided to stop updating this blog for at least a few months. Instead, I will include information about what I'm reading on my other blog. I hope you'll join me there!

November 03, 2008

The Plague of Doves

I loved this book. It's beautifully written and nicely woven together. I'm a big fan of books where things are tied up, though not necessarily neatly, and Louise Erdrich does just that in The Plague of Doves. Erdrich is a great writer. I first read her Master Butcher's Singing Club, which was also a sad, beautiful story set in the bleak flatlands of the northern western states. Erdrich reminds me of Annie Proulx, but her writing is more intricate and intimate. This work deals with the aftermath of a horrific crime, one that affects a small town and neighboring reservation for years afterward. It is an heartbreaking portrait of a community, and the perspectives of a handful of its members.

No comments: