LOOKING FOR AN UPDATE?

In an effort to simplify things in my life for a while, I have decided to stop updating this blog for at least a few months. Instead, I will include information about what I'm reading on my other blog. I hope you'll join me there!

July 21, 2008

Alaska

I really enjoyed this book! It took forever, and I was reading with a bit more interest than most, but I still thought it was pretty good. My dad didn't care for it because the he thought there wasn't enough character development and there I'd have to agree. Still, I was reading more for Michener's interpretation of Alaskan history, which I've found before to be pretty on target. (I read Hawaii a few months before moving here and I've been thankful for the past four years that I did so.) Now that a move to Alaska is a possibility, I really wanted to learn more about a place that I wasn't that knowledgeable or excited about. After reading Alaska, I feel much more prepared, and excited about, a potential tour in Alaska.

My favorite part was Michener's interpretation of life in Siberia many thousands of years ago. I love imagining the seal skin kayaks and the labrets hanging from Eskimo lips. I'm just so thankful that some hearty folks made it through all that they did so that I might be here today, so many thousands of years later, just trying to make it through with my family.

No comments: