After rereading my last post about Going Overboard, I realize that I might have been a bit harsh. I was prompted to look again at the post when my husband said, "What if the author reads that! You are so mean." Okay, so he didn't say the last part, but I'm pretty sure that's what he was thinking.
Maybe what angered me so much about the book is that she feeds in to the stereotype of military dependents. I didn't mention that her father is an admiral, and the back of the book-jacket declares proudly that she has spent thirty years as a military dependent! That's great, but it doesn't say good things about the true dependency created by the military system if that's the case. Here I go again on my soap box. The problem with my soapbox is that there's only room enough for my mouth or my conscience and, unfortunately, my mouth gets a whole lot more exercise.
Don't get me wrong, I stand by what I said about the book. Still, I failed to point out that, by the end of the book, the author does learn to balance a check book and mow the lawn. I also failed to point out that the book was legible without many grammatical errors. And there were some funny parts, too, like the time her husband called home drunk from a nightclub in their first port of call. Plus, she describes the spouses club to a tee, so I suppose she deserves credit for that. All in all, I'd say the book is worth your time if you have a lot of time to spare.
I should also take a moment to mention here that I am not getting paid for reviewing books. That might be clear to those that have read my previous reviews, but I think it bears stating here. I do not have any qualifications, per se, as a book reviewer, except that I know how to read books. My purpose in creating this blog is purely selfish: I love reading good books, but I never know whose recommendation to trust. My hope is that you will add a comment following one of the posts and recommend a book that you liked as much - or disliked. That way, we all win. I get recommendations and you do, too.
So, the next time I go on and on about how much I disliked a book, bear with me. Happy reading!
LOOKING FOR AN UPDATE?
In an effort to simplify things in my life for a while, I have decided to stop updating this blog for at least a few months. Instead, I will include information about what I'm reading on my other blog. I hope you'll join me there!
March 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Great blog, Sarah. You know I love mysteries. I read the new Peter Robinson, "Friend of the Devil". Robinson is a British writer of contemporary procedurals. It was one of his better ones. I'm also enjoying the novels of Stuart M. Kaminsky. One of his series is about an ancient Jewish detective in Chicago, named Abraham Lieberman, who is a really unique and wonderful character. He has another series around a Moscow detective named Porfiry Rostnikov, which are really great reads.
Post a Comment