This book was given to us by the author as a wedding gift. While Jay Higginbotham is a talented author, having written several books about the city of Mobile, Alabama, this one is not my favorite. The writing and story are quite good, it's the subject matter I found hard to stomach. Though the cover makes it look a bit like a sci-fi novel, it's actually about the life of a Russian man who fought in World War II, then immigrated to Mobile and made a life there. As you might imagine, he witnesses some pretty gruesome things as a participant in the war, and things don't get a whole lot better in the United States. What I loved about this book, however, was the beautiful way that Higginbotham weaved the story together, tying past to present, using subtlety of phrase to explain complex psychological phenomena. If you can stomach some pretty intense scenes, I would definitely recommend this book.
LOOKING FOR AN UPDATE?
In an effort to simplify things in my life for a while, I have decided to stop updating this blog for at least a few months. Instead, I will include information about what I'm reading on my other blog. I hope you'll join me there!
April 01, 2008
One Man in the Universe
This book was given to us by the author as a wedding gift. While Jay Higginbotham is a talented author, having written several books about the city of Mobile, Alabama, this one is not my favorite. The writing and story are quite good, it's the subject matter I found hard to stomach. Though the cover makes it look a bit like a sci-fi novel, it's actually about the life of a Russian man who fought in World War II, then immigrated to Mobile and made a life there. As you might imagine, he witnesses some pretty gruesome things as a participant in the war, and things don't get a whole lot better in the United States. What I loved about this book, however, was the beautiful way that Higginbotham weaved the story together, tying past to present, using subtlety of phrase to explain complex psychological phenomena. If you can stomach some pretty intense scenes, I would definitely recommend this book.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment